Once I was 7 years old

♫ I always had that dream like my daddy before me. So I started writing songs, I started writing stories. 

Fifteen years ago, you would have known me as an ambitious singer/songwriter who was ready to take on the music industry with her catchy pop songs. I was a Christian, but I made it very clear that I was not a Christian artist. No, no, no. I wanted to be famous impact the mainstream music scene with my positive music.

I moved to Nashville to live the dream, but God had other plans for my life. During my time in Tennessee, the theme of my music became increasing God-focused. After we moved back to Boston, I got a band together and we played at churches and youth groups. We even recorded an album, but it never came together in the end. When I became a mom, my life became all about my boys. Sure, I was still "doing music". I was a Music Together instructor. I was always singing. But somewhere along the line, I stopped writing. It was years before I really even noticed.

Fast forward to May of 2016. The music teacher at my son's school couldn't finish out the year, and I was asked to fill in. I never taught in a school setting. I felt fairly confident that I could find things to do with the younger kids, but what about the 5th & 6th graders? Oh, and I mention that I had a 2-month-old at home? The offer seemed amazing, but it was also terrifying! Thankfully, I am blessed with some amazing friends. My sweet friend, Kendra, assured me that I would do great. She also offered to watch my baby. 😇

So I said yes! 

...and showed up my first day super excited and really really nervous. The principal knew I didn't have a music education background. She told me to work within my skill set. So, I thought, I'll just have the 5th & 6th graders write a song...together as a class..in a month...No biggie.

It turned out to be an amazing experience! They wrote an awesome song. I was so impressed! So songwriting has become a special thing I do with the graduating class. Last year, they wrote contemporary worship songs. This year, they will be writing hymns with harmony. It's so fun to hear their hearts as they pour themselves into their songs. They stirred up my love for songwriting, and I'm happy to say that I've written a handful of songs this year.


This time around, I'm not writing to be famous. I find that if I try to force a song, it doesn't turn out that good. So I think of it as a prayer. My first song I wrote on my uke was really just the cry of my heart to be seen, and finding rest in knowing that God sees me. My other songs are my rendition of scriptures put to song.

I wanted to share my music with you. If it blesses and encourages you, then praise God! And if you don't care for it, that is okay too.





There will be more songs to come! Thanks for listening!

♫ ♥ Ashley


Comments